Saturday, February 3, 2007

Hello World

Ah yes, the introductory post. The beginning. Well, a few words about me seem appropriate.

I was born and raised in the Adventist church. Underwent a serious conversion to personal-relationship-with-Jesus-Christ Christianity in my late teens. However I have a serious bent for seeking truth and that became my undoing as a Christian. I still retain a strong attachment to the world of Adventism. I still eat Big Franks. I still keep the commandments. In fact only a couple people even know about my philosophical change in stance. I've even put on an act once or twice to keep the charade alive.

The simple truth is though, I don't believe. I enjoy the culture of Adventism in many ways, but I don't share so much as one of the 28 fundamental beliefs. Have we experienced belief inflation by the way? I only remember signing up for 27.

It's funny because even though I don't believe, I certainly have no problem with others believing. I do take issue with Clifford Goldstein's dismissal of Cultural Adventism however. I find eating a vegetarian diet, keeping a weekly sabbath and associating with a large group of non-smoking, non-drinking people to be a great part of living a fulfilling life. I just do it as a secular individual. I get to have my healthy, wholesome lifestyle and yet I am also able to live with complete freedom from moral guilt. It may be way out of context but I find it funny how true John 8:32 has turned out to be for me.

Until next time, live well!

6 comments:

Julius said...

Hello, You!

Hmmm.
Basically, "Deed over Creed," huh?

There's more truth to that than most Adventists realize, I think.

But...hey...that's not fair what you say about me! I just sleep less than you probably ... hitting 40 really soon and all. Old men don't sleep, you know. =)

So...got a name?

Julius said...

LCA,

I was just kidding about that little blurb you had =) You didn't have to take it down. I didn't mind at all....

Have a wonderul Sabbath experience!

Raul Batista (Varonelo) said...

LCA, thanks for stopping by at my blog and leaving your surprising comment. I'm glad I found your blog as I've had limited contact with adventists for years, and very little (one person during college days) contact with cultural adventists. For years I didn't believe in adventism or attend adventist services, but I continued believing in Christ in my own way. Actually, the odd prayer you commented on was one such "unbeliever's prayer" from 15 years ago that I wanted to include in my neo-adventism blog. I could never stop praying to him even if it was half-hearted prayers at times. The greatest risk & temptation was to stop praying altogether, but that would have felt unnatural. I'm glad I kept it up because 15 years later, I find myself closer to Christ and interested, once again, in the Adventist faith, though I don't subscribe to all 28 beliefs either, but lots of progressive adventists don't either, so I'm glad I found the Spectrum community again. Take care of yourself. I look forward to your future posts. Ahem, God bless.

Bulworth said...

So, do you still go to church?

I can relate to your experience. In many ways the tribalism of the Bible and the sort-of-rationalism of traditional Christianity and historical SDAism falls a bit short for me, but I'm still hanging around, convinced that underneath the layers of churchiology is a world of grace, acceptance and forgiveness waiting to be encountered.

Peace,

Glenn

Marcel said...

LCA,

You're brilliant. 'Nuff said. Welcome to our own brand of cultural blogomadness. Look forward to visiting often.

Erv Taylor said...

Does anyone know the first individual that coined the term "Cultural Adventist" and where it was first used?

Erv Taylor
ervin.taylor@atoday.com